Thursday, June 30, 2011

Starting Solids -- Can you say banana? buh-nana

A's first experience with solids didn't go so well. First, I am not sure why we thought it would be a good idea to introduce them all informally on the bed, of all places. But I think it was just a combination of that and this new runny substance and why's my dad coming at me with this spoon. I think we may have made the rice cereal too soft, too. What a waste of breastmilk that meal was. 

Anyway, so we gave it a break for another week before trying again. Then, I was in the kitchen preparing dinner or at least getting started and I decided to eat a banana. Ajay looked intently at my banana and then started squirming like he wanted my banana. So, I jumped at the opportunity and thought, "okay, let's try again" and so we did.
First, I just let him kind of suckle on the banana while I was holding it. He liked it. A LOT. A whole lot. So, then I mushed the banana and started feeding him that. Every time there was a pause between bites that was too long for his liking he would hit the tray with his right hand like saying, "more! more!"
He must have eaten a banana and a half the next day and boy you would know it, too. He was con-sti-pated. So constipated. Poor guy. So, we've put a halt on bananas and he only gets a very little bit as an occasional treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment